Sunday, March 2, 2014

Learn JavaScript Post 18-20 Time Reflections

So looking back on 20 time I came up with a few thoughts about what I had done, and where I could have improved. These are my thoughts on 20 time. I like the concept of 20 time, but there are some things that I would have done differently. I would have had a trial period of maybe the first month, where we could start off with something, and change to a different project if we ended up disliking ours. I also don't really like how the deadlines for blog posts, or blog posts in general. Blogging is not really my thing. Don't ask me why, I don't really have a good reason for it. If I could go back in time, and tell myself to do something differently, I would tell myself to start somewhere else. I would have started with a language like C++ and then branched off of there, instead of starting with JavaScript. JavaScript is more of a branch off language, and I feel like learning C++ would have been more worth my time. Secondly, and this has less to do with 20 time, and more to do with me, I would have told myself to find a class to participate in. Structure is essential for me to learn. It is very hard for me to learn without a format. What I do like about 20 time, is that it gives us the opportunity to go ahead and learn new things that we might not have. It is based on the innumerable possibilities that can result from it. Overall, 20 time is productive and enjoyable, but some things could be tweaked.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a trial period. I often start things and realize I need to tweak them to make them work for me, or I totally change my direction. I think having this experience will make you more certain of how you feel about that in the future. Sometimes sticking it out will also provide valuable information and feedback to yourself about how you learn and what works best for you.

    As for blogging, I'm kind of with you! We are working on creating blogs in graduate class (the class that I am reading your blog for). I find myself stuck on what to write about. My class is in an hour and I just posted my post for the week because I couldn't get one started this week. Two weeks ago I had tons of ideas. I think having to do it in a structured and time sensitive manner takes away some of the benefit and freedom that blogging can bring. I think if you could do it when you wanted and it was more driven by ideas and things you wanted to reflect on, you may like it more. Don't cross it off your list yet! Maybe you will find a use for it down the road!

    ReplyDelete