Sunday, February 9, 2014

Learn JavaScript Post 16-A Bit of Delay

This week I didn't really accomplish much. I have been bogged down with homework since Monday. I have averaged 35 math problems a day, and I have had to draw a picture for all of them. This plus other miscellaneous school work has stopped me from accomplishing a lot. This weekend I have to write a Faust legend, do more math, answer 21 questions from my History textbook, and then finish two term sheets. Instead of working on my project, I have been doing everything but that. I also have come to the conclusion that trying to learn JavaScript on my own might not have been the best idea. I think that I would get more out of it if I had a class with a teacher and a textbook/workbook. I feel like I absorb information the best this way. There is only so much interaction you can do with instructions on a website. I can actually talk to a teacher, so I think that a class would be a great way to learn. When I try to learn something like this by myself, I am rather unmotivated. because coding is not what I thought it would be like, and I always have a ton of questions that I have to look up to answer, and so it becomes very time consuming. Hopefully I will have more to show for next week. Looking at how far I have come, I most certainly am not going to finish this JavaScript course, much less make a website by the end of the year. I am not really sure how to feel about this because I normally finish everything.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Matthew!

    I'm quite like you in the sense that I ALWAYS have to finish things. One of the best pieces of advice/quote I have heard is about how sometimes not reaching our initial goal is okay, because you learn much more along the way. I continue to always want to do my best and finish everything I have started, but sometimes the journey and process of learning teach you more than you ever expected. Think about how much you are learning about yourself, coding, and time management (homework, school, this project, life, etc.)! Don't stop trying to reach your goal, but don't forget to stop and look at all that you have accomplished. You're reflecting on what type of learner you are and how you could best learn. Next time, you know that you would do better with those types of resources! You should be proud of how far you have come. I can't wait to see where you can go with this project!

    Have you tried watching some youtube videos? It seems basic, but I find that I can almost always find videos, how-to's, and reflective videos that can help me when I am stuck.

    I'm still thoroughly impressed that you are tackling this type of project - Don't give up!
    ~Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I have found that coding is not really my thing, but that does not mean that I will give up on it. I recognize that it is a valuable ability and could be put to good use. Sometimes we have to do things that we don't like to do. This is a good example of that. I started it, and I will finish it because I know it will benefit me in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many things in life that I have tried and realized they were not for me. But, I could walk away from them because I tried. It's so great that you are having the experience of learning something and what is involved in pushing yourself to own your own learning. At least now you know you've tried coding and it isn't what you wanted.

    Just out of curiosity, what about coding does not make it "your thing"? I'm always interested to know people's justifications for liking or disliking something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that it is really complex, and I take forever to understand it. As much effort as I put into it, a lot of the times I feel like I am hardly progressing at all. This may also be due to me not having much structure while I learn. Our experiences shape our opinions about a topic or activity. I know that I am not inn my optimal learning environment, so perhaps saying "it isn't my thing" was a bit drastic.

      Delete